18/8 College Sport activities will not proceed this weekend

Dear Newlands College Sports Community

Below is a statement from College Sport today (18/8) about their decision regarding sporting activities for this weekend and the future:

Dear students, staff, family members, partners and supporters of College Sport Wellington,

Following yesterday’s Government announcement and Wellington’s elevation to Alert Level 4, the team at College Sport Wellington have been working hard to consider various scenarios and contingencies for the weeks ahead.  Clearly this is a very fluid situation and we will need to take one step at a time.  In addition to the Government’s ongoing updates, we naturally need to factor in the upcoming Winter Tournament Week and School Sport New Zealand’s decisions around that.  We believe that at the end of this initial three-day lockdown (due to expire Friday night) we will have a clearer picture on both fronts.

At the same time, we very much appreciate the tight turnaround if even in the best case scenario, Wellington’s Alert Level is reduced for the weekend.  Even at Alert Level Two, schools and council facilities will need to have a number of measures in place with no preparation given the current Alert Level Four lockdown.  On that basis, and in line with a number of club sports, we have made the decision that no College Sport Wellington competitions will proceed this weekend – regardless of the Alert Level setting.

Whether the games originally scheduled between today and Sunday are treated as ‘postponed’ or ‘cancelled’ will be determined following Friday’s announcements.  At that point we hope that the shape of the next few weeks will become clearer.  Our next stakeholder update will then follow in due course.

We thank you for your ongoing support of secondary school sport and the wider COVID-19 measures.